Nov 1, 2007

Out of the black hole...

As we are all aware, China's economy is really advancing at a break-neck pace. However, I think the ultimate limitation on its growth and progress may be inefficient processes and bureaucracy. Let me provide you with an example...

Do you know how your mind deliberately forgets small details that aren't worth remembering (or that you REALLY don't want to remember)...well, mine discarded any recollection of the bureaucracy involved when I had to move into the dormitory nearly 2 months ago.

Checking out of the dorm this morning, I thought it would maybe take 30-4o minutes. Nope... I was staying in bldg 21, and after having the attendant look over the condition of my empty room (and her supervisor too), I then went to building 19 to return my key and get my deposit returned... Before getting my deposit back, I needed to go to bldg 22 and get an ink stamp on a form (recording that I was moving off-campus). That office didn't open until 1:00pm so I just waited around for 20 minutes. After receiving the stamp on my form, I returned to bldg 19 to give that form to them in exchange for my refunded room deposit. From there, back to bldg 21 where I had left my suitcases and belongings. In summary, 21 --> 19 --> 22 --> 19 --> 21. WHY can't the offices in 19 & 22 be located in the same bldg?

Once out of the dorm, I was able to escape the "black hole" and take a taxi to the new apartment. What is this black hole?... Its the area just southeast of Tsinghua called Wudaokou. Since there are a lot of universities (and foreign language schools) in the area, there is a vast array of coffee houses, restaurants, shops. Actually, some jokingly refer to it as "K-town" because there are so many korean restaurants/shops/signs/etc. Its a fun-enough area, but a cultural void because its very easy NOT to go anywhere else around Beijing (aside from night life). Sitting in the apartment downtown earlier this afternoon, I had this bizarre sense of liberation at this moment.

The heat is on...
Although the government regulates when the heat comes on - which is typically November 15th, Tsinghua flexes some of its alumni muscle to have the heat come on November 1st (which was this morning). The last week has been REALLY cold in my room at night, and ironically the day I move out is the day the heat comes on.

In case you think I am just exaggerating - my classroom yesterday morning was so cold that the professor was wearing her coat during class, some students had hats and gloves on, and you could almost see your breathe. Why do people just leave the door to buildings wide-open when it's 38 degrees outside and the heat isn't turned on yet? (This is one of China's magical unsolved mysteries...)

Power hitters
With all the business leaders on Tsinghua SEM's Board of Advisors, what do you do when most of them are in Beijing for their annual meeting? Host a global forum on business issues (the inaugural event).

There was very little advanced notice about the event - 26 hours, to be exact - at least to the international students (incl. exchange students). [In all fairness, the word has been out about the forum on Chinese media websites as early as Oct 18th, but we didn't get the heads-up until the day prior to the event.]

On short notice, without knowing what the forum was about, or who was going to be a speaker, or what the topics were going to be discussed...I signed up. The panels featured speakers incl. CEO/Chairman from Walmart, BP, Vodafone, Blackstone, Sony, etc. Of particular note, there was a panel on globalization for Chinese companies. What will Chinese companies compete on when low costs (particularly labor) continue to rise over time? Being the world's hub of manufacturing is not the nation's true aspiration...

How can Chinese companies bring forth more innovation?...How long before Western companies try to emulate market moves made by Chinese firms? Actually, the (chinese) company for my group's operation strategy project has exactly that vision. Boloni has over 50% of the premium market for home furnishings in China. Its key strategy for differentiation is design (high quality), although much of that style is heavily influenced by European designs and fashion. However, for the market in China...they are the market leader. Going forward, Boloni aims to export not only its products, but also its designs which other (Western-based) firms incorporate into their products. Anyway, Beom (from Babson) and I are privileged to have a tour of Boloni's factory tomorrow afternoon... we're definitely looking forward to it!

Airborne Chicken
Speaking of tomorrow (Friday), I can't wait to head to the airport tomorrow evening!! Ella's sprouted another 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) since I last saw her, and she is talking A LOT now; she's picking up new words by the hour! I heard her latest words are "cool" (thanks Aunt Jess), "airplane", and "cho-co (late)".

For Halloween yesterday, Ella was selectively picking through people's candy baskets for the shiny gold wrappers, sharing her trick-or-treat goodies with new doorsteps, and also walking into people's homes to explore... I don't know if China is prepared for who's arriving tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Welcome to Kai and Ella! Hello from DC! Much love, EG and Louisa