Oct 10, 2007

Tsinghua, in a league by itself...

Special Tsinghua Visitor

"Guess he's gone!" (said a good friend of mine as we were walking out from the main lobby of the business school.)

"Guess, who's gone?!" (I asked with great curiosity and urgency...)

"Zhu Rongji."

Um, yeah...at what other business school in the world might you have the former Premier make a "Keyser Soze"-like appearance (with the exception of maybe HBS)? Seriously, I had to repeat his name out loud 2-3 times because of the surprise!

You know...Something seemed a little different when I arrived at the building a few minutes before today's 8:30am class. When I went to park my bike, I noticed that certain areas of the sidewalk were void of the long snarled rows of locked up bikes normally found. Between then and when class got out at noon, Zhu Rongji had come and gone. All that was left now were a few SUVs parked outside on the sidewalk, one of which was a Jeep Grand Cherokee - windows rolled down. In it was 4 soldiers in black (military) uniforms holding some serious hardware in their laps...

Maybe I shouldn't be that surprised of this high profile visitor...since he is the founding dean of Tsinghua's School of Economics (aka - business school), and is honorary chairman...but still, it's totally unexpected even though I've read about him being connected to the b-school.

Okay, I've opened this post BIG - so everything else won't be as colossal, but equally as exciting (to me at least).

Me like learning!
Out of 7 classes, 5 are GREAT...and here are some more about the ones that really get me fired up!

One of the coolest profs I have teaches Operations Strategy. In addition to being engaging during classes, he's not only making an effort to get to know everyone outside of class (in small group lunches), but he's also lined-up a plant tour at Lenovo later this month!!! I think I'm looking forward to this, but I am not sure... :) Also, we've got a guest speaker in next week's class - all good stuff...

The initial class of my (GOOD) finance course kicked-off tonight. You know how some people look really accomplished on paper, but they turn out to dissappoint when you meet them? This "professor" lives up to his billing - and more. An accomplished businessman in telecommunications (for decades), he's got a down-to-earth demeanor, and he's (as Bostonians might say) "wicked smaht"! For example, he's on the board of Soho China, a company that recently IPO'd this week and raised $1.7 billion - about as much as Google did back in 2004 (when it IPO'd at $85/share).

As for the other two courses...they are not worth boring you with how painful they are. I've done my share of complaining in earlier posts. At least the redemption is that I Go GaGa** over the other ones.


**Pardon the plug, but I just had to mention that a friend (and recent Babson alumna) is starting to get some great traction with her start-up company called Go GaGa! [Check it out the first product "The Slide"...one of the Desperate Housewives wants to have one!]


----------------
Now playing: Seu Jorge - Samba que nem Rita à Dora
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I came across your blog while I was researching for some informations about tsinghua, since I am interested in studying for an undergraduate degree there. Although you are in a MBA class, maybe you know some informations about international students who study for an undergraduate degree there? Or maybe you know some undergraduates from abroad personally and could put me into contact with them. That would be great!

Thanks a lot in advance and happy blogging! I also visited the campus and especially enjoyed your description about the campus and the housing situation, because it helped me get a clearer picture.