Oct 7, 2007

Flashback... My name is ______ & I'm an 'expressive'...

Two weeks of classes have gone by, and I've got that nice steady (MBA) buzz of being so fired-up that it is tough to go to sleep at night b/c the mind is racing... Rest easy, I am infinitely more satisfied with my classes since that 1st week. The improvement stems from add/dropping courses (like axing SCM!), and also just adjusting to the "diversity in teaching style" in China...(meaning straight-up lectures for 3 hours at a time)

Speaking of "styles"...does anyone out there remember "People Styles at Work" from Mod I? For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a quick synopsis:
  • Prior to orientation in the 1st year at Babson, my entire class had to read this book - and figure out the style we most identified with (Expressives, Drivers, Amiables, and Analyticals).
  • Throughout our first month of school, it felt like we were constantly referring to each other's "style" - both in class, and jokingly out of class too.
Well, in my 2nd Global Leadership class (which is absolutely stellar, BTW) we spent the better part of the session on the four types of styles. Although it was interesting to read and discuss the first time around back in Mod I, revisiting it at Tsinghua - it really sunk in. In class - I began thinking back on events/experiences of the last year (BCAP project, summer internship, etc) and then I started reflecting even further back on previous employers/managers/etc. Good stuff...if you still own that book, it's worth reviewing it again.

Advanced Managerial Communication - another great class. Hmmm, probably because it is the antithesis of the all-lecture format. Last class, we divided into 2 teams to represent French & Chinese parties of a contract negotiation. 60 minutes of plotting strategy among our teams, 50 minutes of negotiations b/wn delegates of the 2 parties, and about 60 minutes of class debrief at the end. So yeah, needless to say, I was really wound up after that class...

Interestingly, there are no Chinese students in that class - which I think is a shame. Everyone could use infinite amounts of practice and simulated negotiations (esp. since 46% of the Class of 2008 have degrees in engineering or sciences).

However, in all fairness, I should probably provide a quick demographic breakdown of Tsinghua's Class of 2008 for the international MBA program...
Okay...so that leaves only 6 Chinese students from the Class of 2008 able to take this class... Uh - Don't mind me, I'm just answering my own questions right now.

Ironically, in my initial courses registered, I stayed away from the management-type classes b/c I thought the strength would really be in the finance and hard quant classes...obviously another small surprise in big China. I'm still in 2 finance courses - and the one that's had class so far has made my ears bleed, and my eyes sag. [I know, I know "Cry me a river..."]

One class that I can't take for credit, but that I sit-in as much as possible (2 x's/week, 5 hours total), is a macro-economics course for the 1st years. Prof. Marthinsen @ Babson literally wrote the book on macro-econ and he is great! Speaking of which, does anyone recall Marthinsen's 4 Rules of Thumb?...Rule #1: "Above the line, below the line", etc...

The professor teaching macro here is an all-star in a different way. Yeah, 40% of a class is focused on text-book macro stuff (reserve ratio, balance of payments, etc)...then the rest of a class session is just all-out specific information on China from a macro view.

Prof. David Li is one of the top economists in China and is involved in closed-door policy meetings (etc) and he is just ridiculous. Several 2nd years highly recommended checking out his class, and one phrased it boldly..."If you do just 1 thing here at Tsinghua, it would be to go to his classes!" Would you be able to pass that up? Me neither. Plus, considering we compress macro into 4 weeks @ Babson...a little review can't hurt!

To further put a little perspective on things...the 1st year at Babson seemed like a TON of work (totaling 32 credits). OH, YEAH?! Well at Tsinghua, MBAs have to buckle down for a goody basket of 40 credits in the 1st year - and it was revised down from 42 credits last year! (Let's hope for future Babson 1st year students' sake that OPM doesn't find out about this...) 2nd year students are then freed up to do semester exchanges, launch their own businesses, job search, thesis, etc.

Classes start back up tomorrow after a week off, and I'm ready to go...

----------------
Now playing: A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Staying dry??

Anonymous said...

Clues that you've been in business school too long - 1. you honestly believe that People Styles at Work is a valuable tome, 2. you believe that an economics class taught in China might have merit (5 year plan anyone?)

Anonymous said...

3. you don't recognize your econ. professor "wrote the book" because that's how he makes money!